Kareo: Pricing, Reviews, and Alternatives
Kareo is an easy-to-use, fully integrated, cloud-based electronic health records (EHR) software that aims to streamline healthcare tasks. With features like efficient charting, electronic superbills, e-prescribing, and a patient portal, Kareo is designed to support healthcare providers and their practices. In this article, we'll share the key facts you need to know about Kareo to help you make an informed decision on the right EHR for you.
How much does Kareo cost?
Pricing information for Kareo EMR is structured across three tiers: Kareo Clinical (EHR) and Kareo Billing, each priced at $125 per month, and Kareo Pro + Plus, which is available at $199 per month. The exact cost varies depending on the number of users, the patient volume, and the specific features required.
Benefits and differentiators Kareo
While Kareo has many applications, three key areas are especially noteworthy:
- Digital Marketing Services: Kareo offers digital marketing services, which is unique for an EMR provider. These services help medical organizations improve their online visibility and reputation, attract more patients, and engage them with ongoing communications and satisfaction surveys
- Patient Engagement and Telehealth Integration: Kareo extends its functionalities beyond clinical documentation by offering patient engagement tools through its patient portal. Patients can schedule appointments, access their medical records, and securely communicate with healthcare providers.
- Customizable and Comprehensive Dashboard: Kareo contains a fully configurable dashboard that enables medical professionals to display, analyze, and track patients’ data effectively. This dashboard facilitates productivity and performance monitoring, crucial for managing a medical practice.
Scenarios where Kareo is a good choice
Kareo's EMR shines in several scenarios as well. It's particularly suitable for small to medium-sized practices that require an easy-to-use, cloud-based solution to streamline their healthcare tasks. For practices that prioritize efficient charting, electronic superbills, and e-prescribing, Kareo's feature set is tailored to meet these needs. Additionally, healthcare providers looking to enhance patient engagement will find Kareo's patient portal a valuable tool for facilitating communication, appointment scheduling, and prescription management.
Scenarios where Kareo may not be a good choice
For large healthcare organizations with complex workflows and multiple departments, Kareo's EMR might not be the best fit. These organizations often require a more robust and customizable solution to handle their intricate processes, which Kareo's simpler, cloud-based system may not be able to accommodate. Additionally, healthcare providers that prioritize advanced analytics and research capabilities might find Kareo's EMR lacking in comparison to other EMR systems with more extensive data analysis tools. Lastly, organizations that require a high level of interoperability with other healthcare systems, even those not using the same EMR, might find Kareo's EMR less ideal, as it may not offer the same level of seamless data sharing as some other EMR systems.
While Kareo's EMR is well-suited for small to medium-sized practices with straightforward workflows, its simplicity and feature set might not be the best choice for larger organizations or those with more complex needs. In these scenarios, a more robust and customizable EMR system with advanced analytics and interoperability capabilities would be a better fit.
Reviews of Kareo
Users on Software Advice have given Kareo Clinical an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5. Below, we've summarized some of the key pros and cons of the platform.
Positives in Kareo's Reviews
- Intuitive Interface: Many users appreciate Kareo's user-friendly interface, which makes navigation and learning the system easier, even for first-time users.
- Efficient Charting: Kareo's efficient charting features are praised by users, as they help streamline the documentation process and save time.
- Patient Portal: Users find Kareo's patient portal valuable for enhancing patient engagement, as it allows patients to access their health records, communicate with providers, and manage appointments.
Negatives in Kareo's Reviews
- Support Experiences: There are mentions of delays and less than satisfactory encounters with the customer support offered by Kareo.
- Billing System Concerns: Some reviews point out difficulties related to the billing functionalities, including issues with managing claims and processing payments.
- Update-Related Disruptions: Several users have noted occasional technical hiccups and workflow interruptions post-software updates.
Alternatives to Kareo
For those scenarios where Kareo's EMR may not be the best fit, we've identified two alternative EMR systems for each less-ideal scenario.
Large healthcare organizations with complex workflows
- Cerner: Cerner's EMR is designed to handle the intricate processes of large healthcare organizations, offering a comprehensive suite of applications and customizable features to meet the needs of various departments and specialties.
- Allscripts: Allscripts provides a robust and scalable EMR solution that can accommodate the complex workflows of large healthcare organizations, with a focus on connectivity, analytics, and patient engagement.
Healthcare providers prioritizing advanced analytics and research capabilities
- IBM Watson Health: IBM Watson Health offers an EMR system with advanced analytics and research capabilities, leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning to provide actionable insights and improve patient outcomes.
- eClinicalWorks: eClinicalWorks' EMR solution includes a comprehensive set of analytics tools, enabling healthcare providers to gain insights from their data and make informed decisions to enhance patient care.
Organizations requiring high levels of interoperability with other healthcare systems
- Athenahealth: Athenahealth's EMR system emphasizes interoperability, allowing for seamless data sharing and communication between different healthcare systems, even those not using the same EMR.
- Meditech: Meditech's EMR solution is designed to promote interoperability, enabling healthcare providers to exchange patient information with other systems and collaborate effectively across the care continuum.
How you can use Tennr to get the most out of your EMR
At Tennr, we understand the challenges that come with using an EMR like Kareo. That's where we come in! While we're not an EMR ourselves, we specialize in integrating with them to automate those tedious tasks that slow down your team and your business. Our goal is to streamline your processes, making things smoother so you can focus more on patient care.
Opportunities for automating EMR tasks
Here are a couple of places in Kareo where bringing in Tennr could really help. Check out Tennr and sign up today to explore how we can help you!
We can streamline how you handle incoming referrals in Kareo. Tennr uses AI to pull patient details and then RPA (robotic process automation) to set up new patient profiles and book appointments. This not only saves time but also cuts down on those tedious data entry mistakes. Here's a quick demo of how we do this at Tennr! 👇🏾
Explanation of Benefits (EOB) Processing:
We also simplify the process of managing incoming EOB (Explanation of Benefits) documents in Kareo. Tennr efficiently identifies essential information, such as claim numbers and CPT codes, and seamlessly integrates these payments into the EMR. This enables quicker processing and reduces concerns about inaccuracies in payment details.
Small to mid-sized healthcare providers often struggle with managing unstructured external referrals, while larger ones grapple with patient scheduling inefficiencies, especially for follow-up procedures. Tennr addresses this by automating the process using patient demographics. For instance, it sends casual messages with booking links to younger patients and morning calls to older ones, effectively reducing friction and enhancing patient engagement for streamlined scheduling.