TherapyNotes: Pricing, Reviews, and Alternatives
TherapyNotes is a highly-rated EHR software designed specifically for behavioral health professionals. It offers a complete practice management system, including features like patient records, appointment scheduling, telehealth sessions, documentation, and insurance billing. In this article, we'll share the key facts you need to know about TherapyNotes, so you can make an informed decision about whether it's the right fit for your practice.
How much does TherapyNotes cost?
They offer three plans: Solo ($49/month), Group ($59/month for the first clinician and $30/month per additional clinician), and Enterprise (30+ Users, same pricing as Group but with a designated account manager). All of the plans in Group or above include unlimited non-clinician staff. However, based on industry knowledge, here's an estimated price point for different healthcare settings and sizes:
Individual Practitioners and Small Practices:
- The cost typically involves a monthly subscription fee for solo practitioners or small practices with a few therapists. This fee can range from approximately $60 to $100 per month, depending on the number of users and features required.
- Medium-sized practices, including a larger team of therapists and administrative staff, might expect monthly fees ranging from $100 to $300. This can vary based on the number of practitioners, the volume of clients, and additional features like telehealth or advanced billing support.
Large Practices and Groups:
- Larger practices or therapy groups would likely have a customized pricing model, ranging from $300 to $600 or more per month. The price could vary significantly based on the number of therapists, the volume of clients, and specific needs like integration with other systems or multi-location support.
Specialty Mental Health Clinics and Institutions:
- For specialized mental health clinics or larger institutions, TherapyNotes may offer custom pricing models. These could include bulk pricing for multiple therapists, additional features, and enterprise-level support.
Benefits and differentiators TherapyNotes
While TherapyNotes has many applications, three key areas are especially noteworthy:
- Client Portal with Robust Features: The client portal feature is a significant addition, allowing clients to complete and electronically sign documents, including history, demographics, consents, and assessments like GAD-7 and PHQ-9. This portal enhances client engagement and streamlines the documentation process
- Billing and Practice Management Tools: The platform offers a comprehensive suite of billing tools for insurance and self-pay. It simplifies the processes of submitting claims, generating invoices, and managing financials, ensuring efficient operation and revenue management for the practice.
- E-Prescription Options: It is one of the few EHR platforms that provide options for electronic prescriptions, enhancing the functionality and convenience for practices that offer medication management.
Scenarios where TherapyNotes is a good choice
TherapyNotes's EMR is the best option in several scenarios. It's particularly effective for behavioral health professionals, as it's specifically designed to cater to their unique needs and workflows. For small to medium-sized practices, TherapyNotes offers an affordable and scalable solution that can grow with the practice, thanks to its flexible pricing plans. Moreover, practices that prioritize patient engagement and communication will greatly appreciate TherapyNotes's robust patient portal and telehealth features, which facilitate seamless interactions between patients and providers.
Scenarios where TherapyNotes may not be a good choice
TherapyNotes's EMR, mainly targeting behavioral health, may not meet the needs of large hospitals and healthcare organizations requiring a versatile EMR system for complex workflows and various medical specialties. Its interoperability with other EMR systems and external data sources is limited, posing challenges for seamless data exchange. Additionally, TherapyNotes's EMR might be too rigid for practices needing extensive customization to fit their unique workflows and processes.
While TherapyNotes excels in catering to the needs of behavioral health professionals and small to medium-sized practices, its specialized focus and feature set may not be well-suited for larger healthcare organizations or those with more diverse and complex requirements. In these scenarios, a more comprehensive and customizable EMR system might be a better fit.
Reviews of TherapyNotes
Users on G2 have given TherapyNotes an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5. Below, we've summarized some of the key pros and cons of the platform.
Positives in TherapyNotes's Reviews
- User-Friendly Interface: Reviews on G2 highlight TherapyNotes's intuitive and easy-to-navigate interface, even for first-time users.
- Specialized Features: Users appreciate the powerful form-based notes and streamlined scheduling tailored specifically for behavioral health professionals.
- Insurance Claims Management: Electronic insurance claims, ERA payment posting, and credit card processing capabilities are praised by users for simplifying billing processes.
Negatives in TherapyNotes's Reviews
- Complexity and Learning Curve: Some users pointed out that TherapyNotes's complexity and extensive features can make it relatively difficult to learn and navigate, particularly for new users.
- Cost and Resource Intensiveness: A few reviews highlighted that implementing and maintaining TherapyNotes can be resource-intensive, requiring substantial internal employee involvement and training.
- Limited Customization in Certain Areas: There were mentions of limitations in health maintenance options and difficulties in certain customizations.
Alternatives to TherapyNotes
If TherapyNotes's EMR isn't the right fit for your practice, there are alternative EMR systems that may better suit your needs. Here are two recommendations for each of the three less ideal scenarios mentioned earlier:
Large hospitals and healthcare organizations:
- Cerner: Cerner's Millennium EMR is designed for large healthcare organizations, offering a comprehensive suite of applications that can handle complex workflows, multiple departments, and a wide range of medical specialties.
- Allscripts: Allscripts offers a variety of EMR solutions tailored to the needs of large hospitals and healthcare organizations, including Sunrise, which is designed to support complex, multi-specialty environments.
Organizations prioritizing interoperability:
- athenahealth: athenahealth's cloud-based EMR system is known for its strong interoperability capabilities, allowing for seamless data exchange with other EMR systems and external data sources.
- MEDITECH: MEDITECH's Expanse EMR platform offers robust interoperability features, including support for HL7 and FHIR standards, enabling seamless data exchange with other healthcare systems and applications.
Practices requiring extensive customization:
- Greenway Health: Greenway Health's Intergy EMR system offers a high degree of customization, allowing practices to tailor the platform to their specific needs and workflows.
- NextGen Healthcare: NextGen's EMR solutions provide a wide range of customization options, enabling practices to adapt the system to their unique processes and requirements.
How you can use Tennr to get the most out of your EMR.
At Tennr, we understand the challenges that come with using an EMR like TherapyNotes. That's where we come in! While we're not an EMR ourselves, we specialize in integrating with them to automate those tedious tasks that slow down your team and your business. Our goal is to streamline your processes, making things smoother so you can focus more on patient care.
Opportunities for automating EMR tasks.
Here are a couple of places in TherapyNotes where bringing in Tennr could really help. Check out Tennr and sign up today to explore how we can help you!
We can streamline how you handle incoming referrals in TherapyNotes. Tennr uses AI to pull patient details and then RPA (robotic process automation) to set up new patient profiles and book appointments. This not only saves time but also cuts down on those tedious data entry mistakes. Here's a quick demo of how we do this at Tennr! 👇🏾
Explanation of Benefits (EOB) Processing:
We also simplify the process of managing incoming EOB (Explanation of Benefits) documents in TherapyNotes. Tennr efficiently identifies essential information, such as claim numbers and CPT codes, and seamlessly integrates these payments into the EMR. This enables quicker processing and reduces concerns about inaccuracies in payment details.
Small to mid-sized healthcare providers often struggle with managing unstructured external referrals, while larger ones grapple with patient scheduling inefficiencies, especially for follow-up procedures. Tennr addresses this by automating the process using patient demographics. For instance, it sends casual messages with booking links to younger patients and morning calls to older ones, effectively reducing friction and enhancing patient engagement for streamlined scheduling.